27 Dec 2017 | 11.33 am
Improve Staff Management With Excellence Through People
Five key areas of effective staff management
27 Dec 2017 | 11.33 am
Michelle Browne, Head of Excellence Through People at NSAI, explains how the ETP framework fosters an engaged and motivated workforce
As many small business owners know, staff management is critical to success. It is paramount that each staff member pulls their weight, as there isn’t the organisational scale for staff to be carried by others. In addition, a further difficulty experienced by small businesses is that of staff turnover. This can be detrimental for productivity, as valuable time and effort is given to training new staff. Clearly, it is much better to retain experienced staff, particularly in a tightening labour market.
Having an engaged, motivated workforce increases the opportunity of having a productive workforce and, more importantly, productive at doing the right things to ensure your organisation delivers on its strategy. A proven method of engaging and retaining staff is through NSAI’s Excellence Through People framework, which gives a roadmap to ensure staff are well-managed, with a certification to prove they are.
Excellence Through People is a certification scheme designed to help improve organisations from the inside out, by better engaging with their employees and giving an effective framework for all aspects of people management. The beauty of the programme is that many businesses are probably doing it all already without bringing it together.
Case study: CH Chemist
An organisation that has implemented the framework is the CH Chemist, a family-run chemist in Tralee, which has been certified to Excellence Through People for 12 years. Tina Enright, the Human Resources Administrator, believes ETP has been a vital improvement tool, from induction stage right through to training and employee wellbeing.
“ETP constantly challenges us to improve on aspects like business planning, training and staff morale,” says Enright. “Without the ETP standard in place, and in a busy and fast-paced environment of retail, aspects can be forgotten about. ETP helps us keep the highest possible standard for our staff and business at all times. It’s a real team effort here, and listening to staff and taking on their opinions is what makes us stand out from the competition. We do this through the ETP process and it works effectively.”
Five key areas
The Excellence Through People framework looks at five key areas of effective staff management:
- Business Planning. The organisation effectively plans where it is going and continuously improves its approach to quality, to ensure staff understand the vision and values of the organisation and operate according to these principles.
- Communication and Collaboration. The organisation communicates with and encourages people in an effective manner to ensure engagement and encourage collaboration, thereby eliminating the grapevine and breaking down wasteful silos.
- Leadership and People Management. The organisation leads and manages its people and their performance to pre-determined objectivities in a competent and effective manner.
- Learning and Development. The organisation plans and evaluates the development of its people in support of the achievement of its business goals, to ensure value for money in the investment made in staff.
- HR Systems and Employee Wellbeing. The organisation has appropriate HR policies in place and ensures the health, safety and wellbeing of its people in a fair and non-discriminatory manner.
As any business owner knows, doing each of the above steps is part and parcel of every manager’s job, but doing them successfully is what leads to business success.
• For further information on Excellence Through People, call (01) 807 3800, or visit www.nsai.ie