02 Nov 2017 | 11.50 am
Business Supports From Údarás na Gaeltachta
The state agency has a range of supports for businesses in Gaeltacht areas
02 Nov 2017 | 11.50 am
Údarás na Gaeltachta offers eligible enterprises a range of incentives and supports to start up, develop, expand or locate their business in a Gaeltacht area. Hundreds of businesses, from small indigenous startups to large international companies, have been established in the Gaeltacht with our help
Who Are We?
Údarás na Gaeltachta is the regional development authority funded by the Irish Government to promote the economic, social and cultural development of the Gaeltacht, with the overall objective of maintaining Irish as the main communal language of the region.
What We Do
Our job is to stimulate economic growth and job creation in the Gaeltacht by nurturing new and existing businesses, developing modern enterprise infrastructure and enhancing the skills base of the Gaeltacht community.
The Types Of Enterprises We Assist
Assistance is available across a wide range of eligible sectors, from micro business to large companies in areas such as:
- Information Communication Technology
- Niche and Modern Manufacturing
- Internationally Traded Services
- Pharmaceutical and Medical Devices
- Digital and Audiovisual content
- Food Processing
- Fish Farming/Processing
- Cultural Tourism
- Arts and Crafts
- Community-based Enterprises
- Natural Resources
Types Of Supports Available
The range of grant aid available includes:
Assistance for Startups
- Feasibility Study grants are available to assess the viability of your business idea.
- Development of Micro-Enterprise Scheme offers funding to eligible startup businesses towards the costs associated with capital expenditure.
- ‘Chéad Chéim’ Scheme (First Steps) provides funding towards the initial startup costs.
- Innovation Voucher provides vouchers worth €5,000 to assist early stage companies to work with a registered college or knowledge provider to explore a business opportunity or solve a technical problem.
- Mentor Scheme provides support for a business mentor to assist you in your startup phase or advise on specific areas of your plan.
Growing Your Business
- Capital grant can be paid for initial investment in material and tangible assets, such as building, plant and machinery and assets created by the transfer of technology through the acquisition of patent rights, licences know-how or unpatented technical knowledge.
- Employment grant provides support towards the recruitment of new employees.
- Training grant provides assistance for training programmes that train or up-skill employees.
- Share Capital Investment, where Údarás can take an equity stake in small and medium enterprises in the start-up and expansion phases, where this is of strategic importance to the development of the enterprise.
Marketing And Export Supports
- Market Development supports the costs of researching and exploring new international business opportunities.
- Graduates 4 International Growth Programme matches graduates with companies to develop and execute plans to grow in key markets and provides support for the graduates’ salary and training.
- Research and Development and Innovation Grants support businesses in developing new markets, technologies, products, processes and strategic alliances to enhance their ability to perform in increasingly competitive markets.
Management Development Supports
- Mentor, Strategic Consultancy, Key Manager & Platform 4 Growth/Leadership 4 Growth Grants can be used to investigate the feasibility of developing a new product, process, technology or service offering; support the cost of planning or implementing a new strategic development initiative; introduce key skills and expertise to the company’s senior management team; and challenge SMEs to scale and grow their businesses.
Productivity and Business Process Improvement Supports
- Lean Start, Lean Plus and Lean Transform Grants; Business Process Improvement Grants provide support to companies to improve and increase performance and competitiveness, drive company efficiencies and business process improvements.
Údarás has a diverse property portfolio dispersed throughout the Gaeltacht. Properties are available at competitive rental rates and clients can benefit from flexible leasing arrangements. They include enterprise, incubation and industrial type units and buildings, office accommodation and development sites.
How Do I Apply?
Through our network of regional offices, we ensure that enterprises throughout the Gaeltacht areas have access to Údarás assistance and support programmes. Check out www.udaras.ie for further information.
Photo: The Údarás na Gaeltachta Business Park in Gaoth Dobhair, Co Donegal